Doing Business With the County Online During Covid-19

Johnson County employees will continue to report to work and provide County services. Many Johnson County services are available online, by phone, or through mail or email. Contact information for all County departments and offices are available online. The following are just some of the ways you can access services remotely.

Information about individual departments and offices follows:


Emergency services remain available 365 days a year. In an emergency, residents should always dial 911. If you have COVID-19 specific questions, call 211. If you have symptoms, contact your health care provider. Johnson County Ambulance Service bill pay options are available here.

Attorney’s Office

Information on how to pay unpaid court fines, including how to pay court fines online or by mail, how to set up a payment plan, or how to get on a County Attorney Payment Plan (CAPP) to get a license back or release a vehicle registration hold are available here.
Driver's License Pay Plans will not default if you miss your payments for April and May 2020. Email or call us to keep us updated on your situation. We will review payment requirements for June and July as we get closer to that time.

Auditor’s Office

A dropbox is available outside of the Administration Building for voter registrations, township information, COBRA checks and auditor certificates. All requests from the public can be done online or via mail. Information about applying for a tobacco or alcohol license is available here.

Board of Supervisors Office

Fireworks applications, proclamation/recognition requests, board and commission applications are available here.

City Assessor’s Office

Information, applications and property valuations are available here or here.

Applications relating to Homestead, Military and Business Property Tax Credits, as well as petitions to the Board of Review can be found under Important News. Applications may be mailed or emailed. Emails should be sent to [email protected].


To get information about reserving facilities and all other business related to operation of the County managed park and recreation areas, call Conservation’s administrative office at 319-645-2315. Other information can be accessed here.

County Assessor’s Office

The public can view property information, apply for a homestead credit, apply for a business property tax credit or submit a data correction request online here.

Emergency Management

Available for emergency call in 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 319-356-6800.

Human Resources

View current job openings and apply here. Additional information, including benefits, compensation rates and collective bargaining agreements are available here.

Medical Examiner

The Medical Examiner Department (JCME) is available for emergency response. Next-of-kin communication and other general business can be accomplished via telephone at 319-339-6197.

Mental Health/Disability Services

A dropbox is available outside of the Health and Human Services Building. The application for regional Mental Health/Disability Services is available here. Click on “Resources” and then “Forms.” It can be submitted by mail or through email.

Planning, Development and Sustainability

Information about submitting a building permit application is available here.
Information about submitting a development permit application is available here.

Public Health

A dropbox is available outside of the Health and Human Services Building. Food License Renewal can be paid online here. If you choose not to pay the license renewal online, you can mail a check and a completed renewal form to Johnson County Public Health Department. New Food Establishment License Application Packet can be found here. Completed packets for New Food Establishment License with check can be mailed to JCPH. Well and septic system payments can also be mailed to Johnson County Public Health, 855 S. Dubuque St, Suite 217, Iowa City, Iowa 52240. If you have an appointment or questions about Clinical Services, call 319-356-6042. Questions regarding Environmental Health or Community Health, call 319-356-6040.

Recorder’s Office

  • A dropbox is available at the front of the Administration building for birth, death and marriage certificate requests; real estate recordings; and OHV and boat renewals.
  • Birth, death, and marriage records are available by application through U.S. Mail. Overnight mailers are accepted for fast return. Fillable applications are available here. The application must be printed off, notarized and mailed in with required documentation and payment that is on the website. These records are also available through the Iowa Department of Public Health by using their partner/vendor VitalChek here, though additional costs are involved and may not be as rapid.
  • Applications for license to marry in Iowa are available as fillable/printable forms online. Parties must appear before a notary prior to mailing in with payment to Recorder.
  • Boat registration (renewal only, not for new boats). Must be done by mail or by phone through the Recorder.
  • All off-road vehicle (OHV) registration (renewal only; not for new vehicles) is available online through the Iowa Department of Natural Resources website at or available by mail through the Recorder's Office.
  • Real estate recordings: electronic service through Iowa Land Records is available here. This requires registration and is typically used by high-volume submitters. U.S. Mail recordings are always accepted by the Recorder.
  • Items for recording may be placed in the Recorder drop box at the front of the Administration building.


SEATS has suspended fares for all riders. SEATS information is available here.

Secondary Roads

Everything can be done online, or via telephone or mail. Secondary Roads information is available here.

Sheriff’s Office

Emergency services remain available 365 days a year. In an emergency, residents should always dial 911. For non-emergency services, we will continue to offer services to the public by phone, mail and online. At this time, services that require in person application processes will resume on Wednesday, April 1. On-site visitation in the Johnson County Jail has been temporarily suspended. Visit for an off-site video visitation option. The jail is open to lawyers and to process bond outs. We are continually receiving and evaluating new information as it becomes available, so please check back regularly for any updates to our online processes. The Sheriff’s Office can be reached at 319-356-6020 or by visiting our website here.

Social Services

A dropbox is available outside of the Health and Human Services Building. General Assistance, Navigator and Aging Services appointments are being conducted via phone and email. Social Services can be reached by calling 319-356-6090. Additional program information is available here.

Treasurer’s Office

  • A dropbox is available outside of the Administration Building for license plate payments and property tax payments.
  • Property taxes must be paid online or postmarked by Tuesday, March 31, 2020, to avoid a 1½ percent monthly penalty that will begin on Wednesday, April 1, 2020. Property owners can pay property taxes conveniently online at Payment options include VISA, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit cards; debit cards or eCheck. If paying by eCheck, the online fee is only 30 cents. Credit card payments have a non-refundable service delivery fee added to the tax amount due for the service of paying taxes online with a credit card. Property taxes can also be paid by mail. To ensure proper credit, the stub portion of the tax statement must be submitted with the payment. If paying by mail, return payment to the Johnson County Treasurer, PO Box 2420, Iowa City, IA 52244-2420. Payments postmarked by Tuesday, March 31, 2020, will be considered paid on time and no interest will be charged. The U.S. Postal Service postmark is the only date recognized for date of mailing. The date written on a check or a business metered date cannot be accepted as proof of the mailing date.  Residents who would like a receipt must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with their payment..
  • Vehicle tags can be renewed online here.
  • For tax sale redemptions and due dates, call the Treasurer’s Office at 319-356-6087.

Veterans Affairs

We are open 07:30-16:00 by appointment.  Please contact 319-356-6049 or email [email protected].
Additional information about Veterans Affairs is available here.