Top four advance to November 8 city election.
Total Voters 2,609
Matt Hayek 1,664 64%
Michelle L. Payne 990 38%
Raj Patel 928 36%
Jarrett Mitchell 365 14%
Mark McCallum 354 14%
Richard Finley 213 8%
Josh Eklow 127 5%
Write Ins 63
Iowa City will require a primary for the at large contest only. No districts seats are on the primary ballot.
At Large: Four candidates to be nominated. Vote for no more than two.
November 8 city election: top two elected, vote for no more than two.
714 E College St
704 Ronalds St
14 Heather Dr
932 E College St
304 S. Summit #102
221 Iowa Ave
Michelle L. Payne
1126 Village Farm Ct
Dates and deadlines:
- Aug. 15 - Sept. 1: Candidate filing period for Iowa City and University Heights.
- Sept. 2: Cities deliver nomination papers to Auditor's Office.
- Sept. 6: Withdrawal deadline, 5 p.m. with city clerk (not at Auditor's Office) Postponed from Sept. 5 due to legal holiday.
- Sept. 30: Voter pre-registration deadline, 5 p.m. Voters may still register after this date using the Election Day registration procedure.
- Oct. 7: Deadline to request mailed absentee ballot, 5 p.m.
- Oct. 8: Last postmark date for mailed absentee ballots. Legal deadline is day before election, which is the Columbus Day postal holiday.
- Oct. 10: Last day for in-person early voting. Voting available until 6 p.m. at Auditor's Office. (County does not observe Columbus Day holiday and offices will be open.)
- Oct. 11: Election Day. Polls open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Vote at regular polling places.
- Oct. 12: Special Precinct Board reconvenes to examine provisional ballots, noon.
- Oct. 13: Canvass of votes, 4:30 p.m.
Two Johnson County cities require a primary if enough candidates file.
- Iowa City, at large: Primary required if five or more candidates file. Seven candidates filed.
- Iowa City, District A and/or C: Primary required if three or more candidates file in a district. Only voters within district would vote in a primary; all voters in city can vote on district seats and at large seats on November 8. Two candidates filed in District A and one candidate filed in District C.
- University Heights, mayor: Primary required if three or more candidates file. One candidate filed.
- University Heights, council: Primary required if 11 or more candidates file. Eight candidates filed.
A city primary is NOT a partisan primary and party affiliation is not required.
Johnson County Auditor's Office
913 S Dubuque St, Iowa City, IA
Weekdays, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. through Monday, October 10
Saturday, October 8, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
University of Iowa
301 N. Clinton St.
Wednesday, September 28, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
University of Iowa
25 Byington Rd.
Wednesday, September 28, 4 p.m. - 7 p.m.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
200 Hawkins Dr., Iowa City
Friday, October 7, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Iowa City Public Library
123 S. Linn St., Iowa City, IA
Sunday, October 9, noon – 5 p.m.
Monday, October 10, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.