Royceann Porter (D) 5448 (56%)
Phil Hemingway (R) 4168 (46%)
List of Candidates (updated through filing/withdrawal/challenge deadline, 5 PM November 26)
Royceann Porter, Democratic Party
136 Appanoose Ct
Iowa City, IA 52240
Phil Hemingway, Republican Party
415 Elmridge Ave
Iowa City, IA, 52245
Dates and deadlines for the special election:
- Thursday, November 8: The statutory committee of Auditor Travis Weipert, Treasurer Tom Kriz, and Recorder Kim Painter met and set the election to fill the two years remaining on the term of Kurt Friese, who died October 26th.
- Tuesday, November 20: Democratic convention at Clear Creek Amana High School nominated Porter.
- Thursday, November 22 and Friday, November 23: Office closed for Thanksgiving holiday
- Saturday, November 24: Republican convention at Miller Learning Center nominated Hemingway
- Monday, November 26: Filing deadline, 5 PM. Other candidates could have filed with 250 signatures.
- Wednesday, December 5: Early voting began at Auditor's Office. Voting 7:45 to 5:30 weekdays.
- Wednesday, December 5: Candidates forum, 7 to 8:30 PM, Iowa City, City Hall. Sponsored by League of Women Voters
- Friday, December 7: 5 PM deadlines for voter pre-registration and to request a mailed absentee ballot. In person early voting still available after this date. voter registration available with election day registration procedure (ID and proof of address.)
- Friday, December 14: Satellite voting 10 AM to 4 PM, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 1st floor Pappajohn lobby. (Note changed from usual UIHC location.)
- Saturday, December 15: Satellite voting 10 AM to 4 PM, Iowa City Public Library
- Monday, December 17: Last day to vote early at the Auditor's Office, 7:45 to 5:30.
- Tuesday, December 18: Polls open 7 AM to 9 PM. Most voters went to regular polling places. 17 precincts were combined at eight locations.
Three of the combined precincts had voters traveling to a different but nearby polling place:
- Big Grove, Cedar, and Solon voted at Solon city Hall. This is the regular polling place for the city of Solon. Big Grove usually votes at the Solon Library and Cedar normally votes at the Fire Station.
- Coralville 1 and 4 voted at the regular polling place for Coralville 1, the Coralville Public Library. Coralville 4 usually votes at City Hall
- Iowa City 19 and 20 voted at the precinct 20 sites, the Senior Center. Precinct 19 usually votes at the Iowa City Rec Center.
Five of the combined precincts were in places where two precincts already vote at the same location. The only difference for voters was that there was one set of poll workers instead of two.
- Iowa City 5 and 11 at the UI Main Library
- Iowa City 6 and 16 at the Mercer Park Aquatic Center
- North Liberty 1 and 5 at the North Liberty Community Center. All other North Liberty precincts vote at the same regular polling place they voted at for the November 6 general election.
- Graham and Newport at Celebration Farm
- City of Hills and Liberty-Pleasant Valley at the Hills Community Center