This program is now closed
Johnson County's Direct Assistance Program provided one-time, financial assistance to 1,919 eligible residents who suffered hardship due to COVID-19. Applications opened on Monday, April 25, 2022 at 12 p.m. and closed on Friday, May 27, 2022 at 2 p.m. The application appeal process was active between Monday, June 13 at 12 p.m. and Thursday, June 23 at 2 p.m. All applicants who submitted applications determined eligible for the program were funded.
- Application Steps
- 1. Check your Eligibility
To be eligible, individuals must have resided in Johnson County, Iowa since March 1, 2020; and be at least 18 years of age or a legally emancipated minor; and demonstrate that they faced financial hardship from COVID-19; and have low- to moderate-income.
2. Gather Required Documents
Applicants were required to upload documentation establishing identity, residency, and income.
3. Apply Online
Applications were submitted online.
4. Check your Email
Applicants were notified of their eligibility and selection for payment with the email submitted in their application.
5. If Required, Submit Appeal Information
Applications were notified of their eligibility status by email on June 13, 2022.
6. Verify your Name and Address
Applicants were notified of their selection status by email on July 12, 2022. Please email the program at [email protected] if your information is incorrect.
- Application Clinics
Johnson County hosted three in-person clinics to help residents complete applications on Thursday, May 5 and Friday, May 13 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. as well as Thursday, May 26 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. in room 203B/C at the Johnson County Health and Human Services Building, 855 S. Dubuque Street Iowa City.
Johnson County staff was available for appeal assistance in room 214 at the Johnson County Health and Human Services Building, 855 S. Dubuque Street Iowa City.
- Tuesday June 14 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday June 15 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday June 16 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Tuesday June 21 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Wednesday June 22 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday June 23 9 a.m.to 12 p.m.
You can also contact Johnson County at [email protected]
- Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible, applicants must demonstrate:
- Residency in Johnson County, Iowa since March 1, 2020
- Household annual income (2020 or 2021) at or below:
- $45,370 for a household of one
- $51,870 for a household of two
- $58,370 for a household of three
- $64,805 for a household of four
- $70,005 for a household of five
- $75,205 for a household of six
- $80,405 for a household of seven
- $85,605 for a household of eight
- One or more of the following COVID-19 impacts:
- Food insecurity
- Housing insecurity
- Exclusion from federal stimulus programs
- Qualification for one of the following programs:
- Childcare Subsidies through the Child Care Development Fund Program (CCDF) or State Child Care Assistance
- Family Investment Program (FIP) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Free- and Reduced-Price Lunch (NSLP) and/or School Breakfast (SBP) programs
- Head Start and/or Early Head Start
- Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa (HAWKI) or Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Johnson County General Assistance
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidies
- Pell Grants
- Section 8 Vouchers or HUD Subsidized Housing
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Accepted Documentation
Applicants were required to provide documentation of their identity, residency in Johnson County, and annual household income for 2020 or 2021.
For the list of accepted documentation, click here.
Para obtener una lista completa de la documentación aceptada, haga clic aquí.
Pour une liste complète des documents acceptés, cliquez ici.
Kwa orodha kamili ya hati zinazokubalika, bofya hapa.
يرجى النقر هنا، للحصول على قائمة كاملة من الوثائق المقبولة.
The template letter of annual income for your employer is available here:
- Household Size
- Selection Process
- Applications were accepted from April 25−May 27, 2022.
- Each resident could only submit one application. Intentionally submitting more than one application to the Direct Assistance Program may disqualify an individual from eligibility. If you noticed an error or you need to correct something in your application after submission, please email us at [email protected].
- After the application deadline, applications were reviewed and processed.
- All applicants received email notification of application determination on June 13, 2022. Applicants deemed ineligible will have until June 23, 2022 at 2 p.m. to submit an appeal.
- Staff randomly selected eligible applications for payment until funds were exhausted.
- Please check your email for more information about your application status.
- Assistance Amount
Selected applicants will receive a $1,400 check mailed to their Johnson County residence.
- Apply Now
1. Begin an application. Applicants are required to create an account in Johnson County's application portal. Applications were open from April 25, 2022 at 12 p.m. to May 27, 2022 at 2 p.m.The application window is now closed for new applicants.
To begin an application in English, click here
Para empezar su aplicación en español, haga clic aqui
Pour démarrer une candidature en français, cliquez ici
Iii kuanza maombi kwa kiswahili, bofya hapa
لبدء الاستمارة باللغة العربية، أنقر هنا. شكراً لك.
2. Resume an application. Once you have started an application, you can access your saved and submitted applications in the application portal using this link.
3. Review your application. After you have submitted your application, you will receive an email confirming your application submission. If you notice any errors in your application, please contact us at [email protected] Do not submit multiple applications.
4. Monitor your email for updates on your application.
5. If required, submit an appeal. All applicants received email notification of application determination on June 13, 2022. Applicants deemed ineligible had until June 23, 2022 at 2 p.m. to submit an appeal.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How Do I Apply?
- You may use a mobile device or computer to submit your application online, which will be available in English, Spanish, French, Arabic, and Swahili. If you need the application to be translated into an additional language, please email [email protected] to request translation. Applicants must create an account with an email address and submit an application through the online portal. Supporting materials must be uploaded through the web portal. Public libraries in Johnson County provide computer workstations for public use. Paper applications are not accepted.
The application was open from Monday, April 25, 2022 at 12 p.m. until Monday, May 27 at 2 p.m.
- Why Was My Application Determined Ineligible?
Each application was reviewed for eligibility based on four criteria: identity, residency, income, and COVID-19 impacts. All applicants received an email on June 13, 2022 with an initial determination of eligibility. Any application found ineligible on any of the four criteria will have a reason explaining the determination.
For the Johnson County Direct Assistance Program Determination Clarification Document, click here
Para obtener el Documento de aclaración sobre determinaciones de la Programa de asistencia directa del condado Johnson, haga clic aqui
Pour une Document de clarification de décision de Programme d'assistance directe du comté de Johnson, cliquez ici
بالنسبة لبرنامج مقاطعة جونسون للمساعدة المباشرة
وثيقة توضيح القرار اضغط هنا
- How Do I Submit an Appeal?
All applicants received email notification of application determination on June 13, 2022. Applicants determined ineligible received an email with a link to their submitted application. Applicants could submit an appeal until June 23, 2022 at 2 p.m.
To resubmit appeal information, please log in to the account page using the log in information used to create an account. In the middle of the account page, applicants will see a link to the application generated for resubmission. Click on the link to revise the application and resubmit it for review.
- I'm Resubmitting my Application and I Don't See My Documents
When applicants revised their application during the appeal window, the application will have all the information submitted in the original application except the attached documentation. Johnson County has all the documents previously submitted, but the application portal requires new uploads. Please upload required documentation in order to resubmit.
- How Do I Know if My Application is Submitted?
When you submit your application, you will be taken to the account page. You will see a red message that says, "Thank You! Your application has been submitted."
You will also receive an email to the address you used to create your account. Please check your spam filters. It will confirm receipt of your application and will include a copy of your entire application. If you notice any errors or need to update information, please contact us at [email protected]. Do not submit multiple applications.
If you have not received an email, you may not have submitted your application. To verify your application status, please log in to the account page. There you will see any applications that have been saved or submitted.
- How Can I Get Help Completing an Application?
There is no fee to apply for the Direct Assistance Program or to receive application assistance. The following organizations are Direct Assistance Program partners and can provide application assistance to residents:
- Room 214 855 S. Dubuque St. Iowa City, IA 52240
- Days/times of assistance:
- Tuesday June 14 12-4 p.m.
- Wednesday June 15 12-4 p.m.
- Thursday June 16 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Tuesday June 21 12-4 p.m.
- Wednesday June 22 12-4 p.m.
- Thursday June 23 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Coralville Community Food Pantry
North Liberty Community Pantry
- How and When Will Payments be Released?
Selected applicants will receive a one-time, $1,400 check issued by Johnson County mailed to the address provided within the application.
Following the application deadline, review and processing may take six to eight weeks. The Direct Assistance Program is a new program, so timeframes are subject to change.
The first round of applicants were notified of their selection status by email on July 12, 2022. All eligible applicants not initially selected for funding were approved on August 25, 2022.
If you are moving, please have your mail forwarded. If your check is returned to our office, staff will contact you. All checks must be mailed.
If your check was lost, after 30 days you can request the County to reissue your check. Please contact us at [email protected] to report a lost check.
- What if I am Moving?
- If you are selected for payment and know you are moving, please forward or hold your mail and update your mailing address with the US Postal Service to ensure that the check gets to your new address. The addresses have been sent out for check processing; no further address changes can be accommodated.
- Are University of Iowa Students Eligible?
Only Johnson County residents are eligible for this program. Based on Iowa Code, someone who lives in Johnson County for the purpose of receiving services; residing in a hospital, correctional facility, halfway house, nursing facility, intermediate care facility; or for the purpose of attending a college or university is not considered a Johnson County resident.
- Does This Program Provide Premium or Hazard Pay to Essential Workers?
No. This program provides financial relief to eligible residents who experienced negative economic impacts as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, regardless of their work status.
- How Do I Report Suspicious Activity?
All Direct Assistance Program application activities are free and open to eligible residents of Johnson County, IA. Application processes should be conducted through the Johnson County website. If someone charges you for application assistance or requests confidential information to help you complete an application, please notify Johnson County by calling 319-688-5988 or email [email protected].