Apply for WIC
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a federally funded nutrition education and food assistance program for low-income pregnant, body/breastfeeding, and postpartum people, and children up to age 5 years, including foster children.
In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, WIC is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.
Who is eligible?
- People who are pregnant, body/breastfeeding or had a baby, abortion, or miscarriage in the past 6 months
- Infants and children under 5 years old (including foster children)
- Fathers, stepparents, grandparents and foster parents may all apply for their children, in addition to mothers being able to apply.
- Must be a resident of Iowa, there is no minimum residency
- US citizenship is not required
- Persons receiving Medicaid, Food Stamps or FIP automatically qualify for WIC and do not need to meet separate income guidelines.
- If a pregnant person or infant in the household receives Medicaid, then the children under 5 years in the household are also eligible for WIC.
- If someone in the household receives FIP, the financial need requirement is met.
- Working and nonworking families who meet the current income guidelines qualify financially for WIC (a pregnant person is counted as two in the household.)
How long can I be on WIC?
- Pregnant people can enroll any time during their pregnancy and continue through the month following their delivery date, then they can renew enrollment in WIC as postpartum or body/breastfeeding.
- Postpartum (non-body/non-breastfeeding) parents can be on WIC for 6 months postpartum. Body/Breastfeeding parents may be on WIC for up to one year postpartum.
- Postpartum parents who do not have custody of their baby, had a miscarriage or an abortion can receive WIC for 6 months postpartum.
- Infants can enroll anytime in their first year of life. They can renew enrollment in WIC when they turn one year old.
- Children can enroll and continue on WIC until the month of their 5th birthday.
WIC Clinic Hours and Locations
- Phone: 319-356-6042
Email: [email protected]
Iowa City Clinic
Johnson County Health & Human Services Building
855 S. Dubuque Street, Suite 204, Iowa City, IA 52240-4281
Monday & Wednesday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
1st & 3rd Tuesday: 8:00am – 4:30pm
1st Thursday: 8:00am – 4:30pm
Friday: 1:00pm – 4:30pm
North Liberty Rec Center
520 W Cherry St, North Liberty, IA 52317
2nd Tuesday of the Month
North Liberty Baptist Church
1215 Jordan St, North Liberty, IA 52317
3rd Thursday of the Month
Coralville United Methodist Church
806 12th St. Coralville, IA 52241
4th Tuesday of the Month
Williamsburg Public Library
300 W State St, Williamsburg, IA 52361
Hours 9:30 am – 4:00 pm, second Thursday of each month
Marengo Public Library
235 E Hilton St, Marengo, IA 52301
Hours 9:30 am – 4:00 pm, fourth Thursday of each month