If you would like to hire the reserves, please use our Request Sheriff’s Reserves Online form or contact the Sheriff’s Office at 319-356-6020 and leave a voicemail and someone will call you back when they are available.

About The Reserves

photo of johnson county sheriff's department

Reserve deputies are called upon to provide a wide array of support for the Sheriff’s Office. Traffic control, law enforcement presence at the 4-H Fair, Solon Beef Days, Swisher Fun Days and other county events are just a few examples. Reserve deputies can volunteer their time and work in jail or patrol with a full-time deputy. After completing the required training, reserves are allowed to carry weapons. Reserves are also hired to patrol the Coralville Reservoir during the camping season and may become qualified to work regular patrol shifts in the county. 

Reserve deputies go through a traditional application, testing, and interview process. Once a Reserve is appointed by the Sheriff, the Reserve begins a series of classroom and field training to become a certified Reserve Peace Officer in the State of Iowa. Some uniform items and duty equipment are supplied by the Sheriff’s Office, other items will need to be purchase by the Reserve. The time spent training, attending meetings, and working to support the Sheriff’s Office is volunteer time. 

Reserve Deputies come from all walks of life and maintain day jobs in addition to their role as a Reserve. Some of the reserves join the program to gain law enforcement experience and use the experience as a springboard for full time law enforcement. Other reserves join to be involved in law enforcement or give back to their community without having to change careers.

Reserve Deputy Fee Rates

Please provide at least 4 weeks notice for any event scheduling.

Regular work:  $30.00/hour
Use of patrol vehicle: $15.00/hr
Prisoner guard: $40.00/hr
School rate: $25.00/hr
Minimum charge*: Per fee schedule

* Minimum charge is for 2 hours of time per deputy. Cancellation of service must be made with a minimum of one complete business day’s notice.